Google Drive is a Cloud-Based (located on the Web) file management system.
The Wikipedia Entry on: Google Apps for Work is an excellent general overview of the system, which includes an introduction to Google Drive.
For specific help ... to get started:
Google Help Pages
Built into Google Drive is: "Google Docs" ... which is the main function of "Drive" for RVUUF.
For most folks, Google Docs will be a suitable replacement to Microsoft office, etc.
The biggest advantages of using Google Drive / Docs are:
- Web / Cloud based storage of files.
- This means you can access your files from any computer device connected to the Internet / Web. No need to carry files on a flash-drive, of the storage drive on a portable device (notebook or tablet PC, etc.).
- Document Sharing
- The ability to "share" files with other folks (user accounts) in the system.
- This works best with accounts ending in "@rvuuf.org" ... but any Google Account will work.
- There are 3 basic levels of document sharing:
- Document Collaboration
- Once you "share" a document at the "Comment" and/or "Edit" levels, those folks can participate in the management of that document.
- Expanded Sharing
- This includes the ability to share documents via links in e-mails or on web pages.
- With the issuing of "@rvuuf.org" accounts, sharing can be controlled on the following levels:
- Group (within rvuuf.org)
- Entire Organization (i.e. rvuuf.org).
- Public (everyone on the web).